SAU3 One-to-One Program
To start the 2016-2017 school year, Berlin Public Schools finished its District-wide, one-to-one Chromebook initiative. Every student from Kindergarten to twelfth grade was provided with their own Chromebook. Please see our one-to-one philosophy below for more information.
One-to-One Initiative Philosophy
A one-to-one initiative is a partnership with students, parents, teachers, and the community to
challenge and engage each child by providing quality educational programs and support services in order to reach his/her highest potential. The one-to-one initiative empowers teachers and students to engage in learning the district’s curriculum through traditional and digital materials. One-to-one devices allow our students and teachers access to a variety of resources at all achievement levels, participate in differentiated learning activities, and develop unique learning products that demonstrate their understanding of the curriculum objectives. Our vision is that students will develop the skills they need to succeed in a mediacentric, global society.
Our teachers will be groundbreaking pioneers and visionary leaders in their schools and communities. Pioneering leaders model good practices in their ability to use today's tools and technologies productively, understand how to access, evaluate, and use information effectively, and commit to be active collaborators in our global society.
The overall mission of the Berlin Public Schools is to prepare graduates to be active, lifelong learners who participate constructively in the civic, economic, educational and cultural growth of their continually changing, information-based local and global communities.
In the 21st century, understanding and using technology is an integral part of virtually every aspect of daily life. It is the school system's responsibility to prepare students for this reality. Through this initiative, our students will be college and career ready with the knowledge and skills needed to be successful today and in the future.
1:1 Initiative Goals and Objectives
● Critical Thinking
● Digital Citizenship
● Global Awareness
● Immediate Feedback
● Access - providing all students equal opportunities to use technological resources
● Collaboration - working with others to complete a task and achieve shared goals
● Communication - to express or exchange information, ideas, thoughts, feelings,
intentions, and expectations to someone else through digital means
● Creativity - demonstrate a deeper understanding by utilizing skills, resources, and tools
to draw conclusions and create knowledge through innovation and imagination
● Critical Thinking - learners use skills, resources, and tools to inquire, analyze, and gain
knowledge, then apply this knowledge to new situations
● Differentiation - provide students with different avenues to learning
● Digital Citizenship - appropriate, ethical, and responsible behavior with regard to
information and technology use
● Global Awareness - using technology to obtain knowledge and understanding of the
● Immediate Feedback - empowering students to have ownership of their learning through
prompt analysis of work
● Opportunities - allowing for choices and possibilities to enrich learning
Created on June 24, 2014